Thursday, January 31, 2013

It's about time: Sheers!


This summer we will have lived in this house for two years. There is this door from our kitchen to the backyard that didn't have any window coverings when we moved in. My husband has been after me all this time to make something for it... I mean, I sew, right?! Anyway. I've always had other projects on the go, and just haven't made the time to do it... how can I choose a window covering over making clothing or something else more exciting?!



Well, my serger had to go to the shop which gave me no choice but to look at other projects, including the window covering. Pretty simple to make, really, once you sit down to do it.

A big rectangle of fabric. For the bunched look, you have to be sure to make the length at least 1 and 1/2 of the length of the window (kind of wish I did 2x the amount but it still looks okay). Also, the height has to be a tad shorter than the space between the rods so it's good and taut. Be sure when measuring to take into account hemming, I hemmed all 4 edges to prevent fraying. Make sure to sew the sides first and then top.

And now our neighbours can't see us in the evening walking around our kitchen anymore, yay!

2 comments:

  1. isn't it always the case that when you do that for a job it doesn't get done ;) Our fence took about 2 years too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, there's a few other things I should probably get to...:)

    ReplyDelete